Your guide to making more informed, data-backed hiring decisions
Structured hiring is the core of any strategic hiring process. When done right, it defines a clear process and enables companies to make better, data-based decisions.
You know the basics of the process, so here are some helpful reminders to ensure you are following a defined workflow and making measurable improvements. These steps will also help you track how well you are able to make informed hiring decisions by evaluating your scorecard submission rate.
Performance benchmark: A scorecard submission rate of 90% or more indicates you’re effectively making informed decisions. Ensuring scorecards are regularly submitted helps your team generate the data needed to drive informed hiring decisions across the organization.
Schedule all interviews through Greenhouse
We offer a number of calendar integrations so you can practice informed hiring and centralize all scheduling through Greenhouse. This ensures you’re capturing the complete data set on interview volume, as well as preparing your hiring team with interview kits included in each meeting invitation.
Leverage any of our scheduling integration partners to help your team be as effective as possible and boost your calendar functionality
Upgrade scorecard creation and submission
Use the tools that are readily available within Greenhouse to set up scorecards more efficiently and with a focused approach. By implementing the following steps, you’ll be able to increase scorecard submission rates so you can make smarter, data-driven decisions.
- Learn how to effectively use job templates to create scorecards from previous roles, help drive consistency in job stages and gain better data quality
- Make each interview purposeful with specific focus attributes and custom questions so interviewers are clear on their goals, every attribute is covered and interviews are never redundant
- Work with hiring managers to train interviewers, set scorecard completion goals and ensure everyone understands how submitting scorecards can help your company make better informed and more fair decisions
- Check out the comprehensive Learn Greenhouse course on building a scorecard
Establish offer approval processes
Include all necessary stakeholders in the offer approval process for new hires so nothing slips between the cracks (applicable for Advanced/Expert packages only).
- Read the offer approval guide to learn how to map out approval chains and create a plan for extending offers to candidates
- Understand how to configure your default approval process here, then head straight to the app to get started
- Check out this Learn Greenhouse course on working with offer approvals for additional guidance on scorecards
Develop and run retrospective debriefs
It’s easy for a team to start conducting retrospective debriefs, and it’s the one process that can improve all your other hiring practices.
- Create the habit of having a retrospective debrief after each job is closed to evaluate what went right and what didn’t work out the way it was intended – so you can uncover areas of opportunity and improvement
- Create agile HR flows through hiring debriefs
- For better-informed decision making and a more inclusive hiring process overall, leverage our standard demographic data report and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion reports (available for Expert tier customers)
Keep a pulse on your progress
Don’t forget to track your progress against hiring goals with Greenhouse. Be sure to view our upcoming live trainings for the latest product best practices and guidance on optimizing Greenhouse.