By default, Greenhouse Onboarding provides your organization with three essential roles to help manage your onboarding process:
While these roles typically cover a wide range of administrative needs, your organization may need to create unique roles to help manage certain tasks throughout your onboarding process.
With the Custom Access tier, users with Owner access can create custom roles with very specific administrative and employee field permissions. For example, you can configure employees with custom access to onboard pending hires or manage new hire documents and tasks based on specific criteria.
Custom roles your organization might consider creating include Hiring Manager, HR Specialist, Accounting Team, and IT Manager.
Create a custom role
Navigate to Settings, then select Data Flow > Permissions to create a custom role.
Scroll to the Custom Access panel and click Create New.
Add a name for your new custom role. When you're finished, click Save and Close.
Your new custom role will now appear under Custom Access on the Permissions page.
Add users to a custom role and define match criteria
Once you've created a new custom role, it will automatically open and allow you to configure settings. You can also click to select and edit custom roles at any time from the Permissions page.
On the custom role's page, navigate to the Users tab and click Add User.
Use the Add user(s) field to select the employees in your organization who should be assigned to this custom role.
Next, define matches for users with this custom role. You can use the following fields to give custom access users permission to manage onboarding, documents, and tasks for new hires that match your selected criteria:
- Department matches – give custom users access to employees from specific departments in your organization
- Location matches – give custom users access to employees from specific locations
- Employment Status matches – give custom users access to employees with specific employment statuses
- Other Criteria matches – give custom users access to employees tagged with other criteria
Click Save and Close when you're finished.
Update the name of a custom role
Navigate to the Settings tab for your custom role.
Click the pencil icon to update your custom role's Name at any time. Click Save when you're finished.
Manage a custom role's administrative permissions
Each custom role has a unique set of permissions that allow assigned users to complete actions in Greenhouse Onboarding. These options are separated into administrative permissions and field permissions on the custom role's Settings page.
Administrative permissions are broad permissions related to onboarding pending hires, assigning tasks or documents, and managing the employee profile for future and current employees.
By default, custom roles aren't assigned any administrative permissions. You can assign administrative permissions to a role by marking any of the following checkboxes:
- Can manage employee documents and signature requests – this custom role will have access to manage E-Signature requests and documents for employees matching the criteria defined in the Users tab
- Can configure the onboarding tasks for future employees – this custom role will have access to create tasks for future employees matching the criteria defined in the Users tab
- Can see and edit tasks that have been assigned to current employees – this custom role will have access to manage tasks in the Tasks report for current employees matching the criteria defined in the Users tab
- Can manage pending hires – this custom role will have access to manage and onboard pending hires who match the criteria defined in the Users tab
- Can manage new hires – this custom role will have access to view new hires who match the criteria defined in the Users tab
- Can see the email activity tab on the employee profile – this custom role will have access to view the email activity tab in employee profiles
- Can use the integrations tab on the employee profile – this custom role will have access to view the integrations tab in employee profiles
Manage a custom role's field permissions
Field permissions are specific sets of privileges that allow a user to view or update the fields on an employee's profile. This functionality is more specific and configurable than administrative permissions, giving you the ability to provide access (or hide access) to custom users for each employee profile field.
To grant a custom role additional access to employee fields, click the Settings tab from the custom role's page and navigate to the Field Permissions panel.
You can configure your custom role's access to each employee profile field by marking the Can Edit for Employees or Can View for Employees checkboxes. By using different combinations of the checkboxes, you can define unique permission sets for each field.
The Can View for Employees checkbox allows your custom role to view the contents of a field on an employee profile. If the Can Edit for Employees checkbox is left unmarked, the custom user will have view-only permissions and won't be able to edit this employee field.
View and Edit
Selecting both checkboxes gives custom users access to view and edit this employee field.
If neither checkbox is selected, the employee field will be hidden for this custom role. You can use this configuration to hide sensitive or private information that should only be viewed by managers or administrators.