If you are considering our Business Intelligence (BI) Connector or more advanced data options, start here to go through the basics! Then, you can explore the more advanced resources including the data model, schema, and best practices here.
What is the Business Intelligence Connector and is it a fit for us?
The Business Intelligence Connector (BIC) provides additional insight into an organization's Greenhouse Recruiting data, and is designed for companies with robust analytics and business intelligence requirements that prefer a more flexible, hands-on approach to analyzing their data. It is a fit for companies with a business intelligence analyst.
Which kinds of companies are successful with the BI Connector?
- They are already exporting Greenhouse Recruiting data and spending significant time manipulating it to get different views (metrics over time, department level, etc.).
- They already have a point of view about what KPIs and recruiting data they want to see.
- They have a data analyst or BI resource who can devote significant time to use the BI Connector.
What can I do with the BI Connector?
- Understand the impact of recruiting efforts, communicate progress, diagnose bottlenecks, drive decision making, and predict future performance.
- Access most of your raw recruiting data, including some additional data that is not easily available in the Greenhouse app.
- Create a variety of visualizations: trends over time, pie charts, bar graphs, etc.
- Slice and dice data with a variety of filters (e.g., department, office, recruiter, etc.)
What are some of the limitations of the BI Connector?
- Not a tool for every recruiter to have a login and create their own reports. BIC is meant to have one or two dedicated users who create reports for the whole team.
- Does not contain 100% of data from Greenhouse Recruiting. Reference the schema to check if the data you are expecting to report on is available.
- Not for activity tracking or tracking hourly data; not for instant analytics — data is refreshed every 24 hours.
Does Greenhouse offer any training or demos?
Because the Business Intelligence Connector is a data product, training and demos would simply consist of understanding the data. The look and final product of what you build with the BI Connector depends entirely on your BI tool and the expertise of your team. The documentation on the various data tables should be sufficient for a data analyst to answer most questions. We can answer questions about the data and help you become familiar with the Greenhouse data model, but we can not provide tool-specific support (i.e. Tableau, Looker, PowerBI).
How often is the data updated?
The data is synced to Amazon Redshift or S3 daily (including weekends). You can sign up for a completion notification email, so you know exactly when this has finished each day. Your organization can connect your in-house BI tool to Amazon Redshift or S3 to pull your data from Greenhouse.
Can I access the files through my own S3 bucket instead of Redshift?
Yes, we can send your files to an Amazon S3 bucket you create and manage. Your organization can then access your S3 bucket to download your files locally daily after the transfer to Amazon Redshift completes.
Is the data in the Business intelligence Connector backed up?
We do not create backups of BI Connector data because Greenhouse Recruiting data is retained for 30 days.
How do I enable the BI Connector?
To enable the BI Connector, contact your Customer Success Manager and request they turn the feature on. You will need to provide IP addresses to allowlist if you are accessing the data through Redshift, or AWS credentials (access key and secret) with write access to your S3 bucket. Generally, this takes 3-5 business days total.