If you are considering our Business Intelligence (BI) Connector or more advanced data options, start here to go through the basics! Then, you can explore the more advanced resources including the data model, schema, and best practices here.
- What is the Business Intelligence Connector and is it a fit for us?
- Which kinds of companies are successful with the BI Connector?
- What can I do with the BI Connector?
- What are some of the limitations of the BI Connector?
- Do you offer any training or demos?
- How often is the data updated?
- Can I access the files through my own S3 bucket instead of Redshift?
- Is the data in the Business intelligence Connector backed up?
- How long does it take to get access to the BI Connector once it is purchased?
- Why is there a charge for BI Connector?
What is the Business Intelligence Connector and is it a fit for us?
The Business Intelligence Connector (formerly called Greenhouse Analytics) is an add-on to the Greenhouse Recruiting platform, which comes at an additional cost for Core and Pro customers. The BI Connector is designed for companies with robust analytics and business intelligence requirements that prefer a more flexible, hands-on approach to analyzing their data. It is a fit for companies with a business intelligence analyst.
Which kinds of companies are successful with the BI Connector?
- They are already exporting Greenhouse data and spending significant time manipulating it to get different views (metrics over time, department level, etc.).
- They already have a point of view about what KPIs and recruiting data they want to see.
- They have a data analyst or BI resource who can devote significant time to use the BI Connector.
What can I do with the BI Connector?
- Understand the impact of recruiting efforts, communicate progress, diagnose bottlenecks, drive decision making, and predict future performance.
- Access most of your raw recruiting data, including some additional data that is not easily available in the Greenhouse app.
- Create a variety of visualizations: trends over time, pie charts, bar graphs, etc.
- Slice and dice data with a variety of filters (eg. department, office, recruiter, etc.)
What are some of the limitations of the BI Connector?
- Not a tool for every recruiter to have a login and create their own reports. It’s meant to have 1-2 dedicated people who create the reports for the whole team.
- Not for creating multi-column tracking sheets.
- Does not contain 100% of data from Greenhouse. Reference the schema to check if the data you are expecting to report on is available.
- Not for activity tracking or tracking hourly data (data is refreshed every 24 hours).
- Not for instant analytics -- data is refreshed from Greenhouse overnight.
Do you offer any training or demos?
Because the Business Intelligence Connector is a data product, training and demos would simply consist of understanding the data. The look and final product of what you build with the BI Connector depends entirely on your BI tool and the expertise of your team. The documentation on the various data tables should be sufficient for a data analyst to answer most questions. We can answer questions about the data and help you become familiar with the Greenhouse data model, but we can not provide tool-specific support (i.e. Tableau, Looker, PowerBI).
How often is the data updated?
The data is synced to Amazon Redshift or S3 daily (including weekends) between 12:00am and 9:00am EST. You can sign up for a completion email, so you know exactly when this has completed each day. Your organization can connect your in-house BI tool to Amazon Redshift to pull your data from Greenhouse.
Can I access the files through my own S3 bucket instead of Redshift?
Yes, we can send your files to an Amazon S3 bucket you create and manage. Your organization can then access your S3 bucket to download your files locally daily after the transfer to Amazon Redshift completes.
Is the data in the Business intelligence Connector backed up?
We don’t do backups of BI Connector data because Greenhouse Recruiting data is retained for 30 days.
How long does it take to get access to the BI Connector once it is purchased?
Once you’ve made the purchase, your account team will turn on the feature. You will need to provide IP addresses to whitelist if you are accessing the data through Redshift or AWS credentials (access key and secret) with write access to your S3 bucket. Generally, this takes 3-5 business days total.
Why is there a charge for BI Connector?
The Greenhouse team puts a lot of development time and effort into transforming the raw data from Greenhouse into new data structures that are appropriate for a BI tool to read. There is a cost associated with Redshift access as well.