We've had an integration with Namely for a while now, but we've just rolled out a brand new version with slick features you're sure to love! If you've already set up the old integration and want to switch, start by disconnecting it on the Integrations tab!
About the Integration & Setup Instructions
The Greenhouse to Namely integration feeds candidates over to Namely from Greenhouse when they are “Hired” in Greenhouse.
This integration uses a “webhook”, which means that as soon as you hit the “hire” button in Greenhouse, the candidate profile automatically flows into Namely (rather than having to do a manual export).
Certain fields are standard in both Namely and Greenhouse and require no setup on your side. Others are standard in Namely but not Greenhouse and require your setup on the Greenhouse side. Finally, totally custom fields are supported but require your setup on both the Namely and Greenhouse side (instructions on all this below).
There are two ways in which the candidates from Greenhouse can sync into Namely. They can either flow into Namely and be created as an active profile, or flow into Namely as a draft Onboarding session (recommended).
In either case, there is going to be some more information that is required to be filled out on the profile on the Namely side after the profile enters our system.
Standard (and Required) Fields
These fields are standard in both Greenhouse and Namely and sync automatically.
*Required: These fields are required in Namely and therefore we require them to populated when creating a profile. If left empty, “Start Date” will populate with the date the employee was hired in Greenhouse. Depending on which email fields are populated, Namely has certain rules to populate the email fields if not all the required fields are provided.
Custom Greenhouse Fields
The following Namely fields can be populated via the integration if fields with the EXACT SAME NAME, CASE-SENSITIVE are created in Greenhouse as custom fields. If you’ve altered the names of these fields in Namely, the custom field in Greenhouse will have to be altered as well. For example; you must create the field “Preferred name” in Greenhouse… “Preferred Name” would not work as the case does not match. A custom field can be created in Greenhouse by visiting Settings > Custom Options > Company Custom Fields (any section but “Referral Questions”).
Custom Fields: Greenhouse & Namely In addition to the fields above, most custom fields in Namely can be synced over from Greenhouse if an SAME EXACT field is created in Greenhouse, name and type. This uses the same overall logic as the “Custom Greenhouse FIelds” section, however, this time you also have to create a comparable Namely field. For example, if you create “Best friends” in Namely and make it a text box, you must create, case-sensitive “Best friends” in Greenhouse as a short textbox.
4 field types are accepted: Short textbox, Long textbox, Single select, Number
Step 1: Create a Custom Field in Namely
- In Namely, navigate to Company > Settings > Profile Fields (under “Employee Data”)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the “General” section and click “Add New Field”
- The Label should be “greenhouse_id” (exactly as is), and Type should be “Text”; if you create the field with a typo, please delete it and recreate it rather than editing the field name
Step 2: Log into Namely Connect
- Go to connect.namely.com
- On the first page, type in your company’s permalink (<>.namely.com) and click “Continue”. If you’re not already logged into Namely on the browser, it’s going to prompt you to login like normal; enter your normal Namely credentials to login
- When prompted, click “Accept” to authorize Connect
Step 3: Assure Your Namely Connect “Owner” is Valid
- Now that you’re in, you should make sure that your “Connect” Owner is valid; if you’re already running successful integrations with Namely or you’ve spoken to someone internally at Namely about this in the past, you can skip this step
- Go to “View all users” at the top of the page
- Ensure the person who’s selected as the “Owner” has the access role “Administrator” and is an active employee in Namely. If the current “Owner” meets those requirements, you’re fine to go back by clicking the “Namely” logo on the top left
- If you don’t see a valid “Owner” on that list, have someone who meets the requirements (active “Administrator”) login to Namely Connect (as everyone who logs in joins the list of names), and once they are on the list, choose that person as the “Owner”
Step 4: Connect to Greenhouse
- Find the “Greenhouse” connection on the list of integrations and click “Connect”.
- For Name enter “New Hire”
- Find the Secret key and save it aside in a text document as you’re going to need it in later steps.
- At this point you can choose whether or not you want to use Onboarding with Greenhouse. Your Namely Support Consultant will have more information on how Onboarding works.
- Click “Connect”… you’ll see a list of standard Field Mappings but be sure to refer to this document for a more detailed explanation. Continue through by clicking “Save Field Map”.
- Back on the main page, you’ll see a new button appeared under the “Greenhouse” integration called “Show Webhook URL”; click the button and when the URL appears save it aside in a text document as you’re going to need it in later steps (with the Secret key)
Step 5: Connect Greenhouse and Namely Login to your Greenhouse account and go to https://app.greenhouse.io/web_hooks (or go to Settings > Configure > Dev Center > Web Hooks > Webhooks)
You’re all set! Your connection should be up and running now. For support, contact your Namely Support Consultant.
1. Start by creating a new custom field named greenhouse_id to help prevent duplicate imports. You can do this on the Company > Employee Data > Profile fields page.
2. Head over to connect.namely.com and choose Greenhouse from the list of options.
3. On the next page, enter a name (Greenhouse is probably easiest), and an API key will be generated for you.
4. Hit Connect, then copy down the Endpoint URL from the next page.
- Ask a Site Admin with advanced permissions to log into Greenhouse.
- Have them select Configure > Users > Your Name.
- Under User-specific permissions, select Developer Permissions > Can manage and configure web hooks.
- Repeat for anyone else that should have access.
1. Now that you have the correct permissions, log into your Greenhouse account and select Configure > Dev Center > Web Hooks > Web Hooks.
2. Name your Webhook — we suggest Namely Integration. Input the Endpoint URL and API Key from Namely, then make sure the Web hook type is Candidate has been hired.
3. Press Create Web Hook.
That's it! Any time you set a candidate as Hired, their data will automatically be sent over to Namely!
Please note: Before marking a candidate as Accepted on the Private tab, make sure to go into his or her details and change their email type to Work. Namely needs the address to have this type before it can be pushed over.
By default, the following fields will be pushed into Namely from Greenhouse:
- Candidate First Name
- Candidate Last Name
- Candidate Email
- Candidate Address
- Phone Number
- Start Date
- User Status ("Active")
Syncing additional custom fields
If you'd like to push over additional information to Namely, you can do that too! Just create a custom field on the Configure > Custom Options > Offers/Candidates page in Greenhouse with exactly the same name as the field you want it to match in Namely. The field type must be either short text, long text, number, or single select (dropdown) to push over correctly.
For Internal Hire use case:
The Namely/Greenhouse integration associates candidates in Greenhouse to employees in Namely based on their company email address.
This setting allows you to configure whether you'd like previously-hired employee profiles in Namely to be updated in response to subsequent "hire" events from Greenhouse. For some clients, enabling this option will support the internal transfer or internal hire use case.
This setting will be off by default - if you hire a candidate in Greenhouse whose company or personal email address already exists in Namely, you'll see a message in the Greenhouse sync history or email notification informing you that no candidate data was synced.